Sunday, November 12, 2017

How to make a PIZZA!

How To Make A Pizza

First grade students worked on "how to" writing last week. First they wrote directions on "how to brush your teeth". I followed the students directions and they soon learned the importance of using details in their writing. Below is a recap of what happened:


Today in preparation for our field trip to Fast Eddy's we did a whole class "how to brush your teeth". I wrote down the directions the students gave me. Then I used the directions to brush my teeth. I put the toothpaste on my toothbrush. However, they did not specify where so I put it on the handle. I brushed around and around. They did not use good details so I turned circles while I brushed. Then one of the students caught on and read ahead in anticipation and said, "Ms. Sara don't do number 4!" Which was spit out your toothpaste. She realized that they did not tell me where. Unfortunately, she was too late and some of my toothpaste ended up on the tile floor ðŸ˜³Lastly, I was instructed to put up my toothpaste and toothbrush. They failed to tell me where to put it. So they too ended up on the floor. We had a good time with that activity and learned fast that details are vital. After the activity I asked the students to have a seat on the reading carpet. I went to meet them and they were not in the correct spots. I said, "why are you not in your assigned spots?" They quickly responded, "You did not tell us we had to be in our spots!" I thought Touché students! ðŸ¤£


Then the students wrote directions for "how to make a pizza" as a class for Nick Young to use at Fast Eddy's. Our pizza came out a bit burnt; but some students found it edible. Then Nick also made a pizza following his own detailed instructions. The students definitely preferred the pizza he made following his really detailed instructions. Then Nick was kind enough to give the students  an opportunity to make a pizza following his directions.  Below are some pictures from our "HOW TO" adventure:

Everyone LOVES pizza!

Nick following the directions to make the 1st grade pizza!


Nick reading HIS directions on how to make a pizza!
I think at this point Olivia realized some of the errors in our directions.

Nick putting HIS pizza together.

Sawyer and Nick comparing notes on how to make a pizza.

The first graders waiting in anticipation to see how their pizza is coming along.

Nick's pizza going in...
1st grade pizza coming out for toppings and going back in for 10 more minutes.

Making pizza Nick's way!

Who doesn't like making yummy pizza!

Drumroll, the First Grade Pizza! 

First Grade mini pizza's going in...thanks NICK and AMY!

A BIG THANKS to Nick and Amy Young for providing this fun opportunity for the first graders. They had fun and realized how important details are with regards to "how to" writing.

No comments:

Post a Comment